background

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Really Radical Room Rearranging *

   * Thanks to Tom for the title--I think I shall have make use of his talent more often. 
    When we moved in to our master bedroom in the new place, pretty much all we did was plunk our furniture into place and hang a few pictures on the walls wherever there was a nail handy. My MIL already had window treatments up, which I left in place.
     It may be hard to see in the picture, but the swags are tan with purple flowers, and the bedspread is gray and black, so nothing was meshing; and I was stalled on decorating ideas. My biggest issue was, since this is a temporary move; I was not willing to spend a lot of time or money on paint, new curtains, new bedding, or new anything for that matter. Does that sound hopeless or what? I thought so too, which is why it stayed that way for over 3 months.
    One night last week, I was ranting to my husband about how horrible I am at decorating and all sorts of random blubber...How about those hormones? :)  Barely three days later, ideas started to form, and I emailed my sister telling her that she needed to come soon to help me do a face-lift on the room. She had Saturday free, so we set the date, and she arrived, bringing leftover tulle and lights from our wedding. Here are the results:
      I'm just loving the effect of the white lights...I've always loved the cozy feeling they give to any room!
      I dried at least a dozen hydrangeas from my flower beds with no real idea of what I would do with them. Obviously, I found plenty of places to put them to use!


    I had found those little corner pieces at a thrift store for around 25¢ quite awhile back, so I just painted them to match the flowers. The purple hydrangea is artificial, and belongs to my mother-in-law. That's one fun thing about living in her house, I just scouted around to find things to add little touches here and there! The white cabinet will be used for baby things when that time comes!

   I'm sure it could use the hand of a more skilled decorator, but it's an upgrade from what it was, so it makes me quite happy! I'm keeping my eyes open for a bunch of decorative pillows for the bed...if I have to make my own, I will.
   Here's the best part of the deal: other than the white lights and tulle from my mom, I found everything I needed either in my collection of stuff, or somewhere in my mother-in-law's stash. The most we spent on this project was 21¢ for an anchor to hold the tulle and lights up on the ceiling. :)
   So, I just had to share a little bit of my happiness with you, and now I'll go on my merry way! Have a lovely evening!
                 

1 comment:

  1. lovely, lovely!!! I am trying not to feel awful about my lack of decor in my house...and I've been here two years... :-( Now if I could just get a sister to come and help me... :-)

    ReplyDelete